Monday 28 November 2011

Day One - Southener in London

Hi Blog Readers

After a 12 hour day, I have arrived home after my first day of Absolute Radio.

Today started oddly well. No problems, all smooth. After a trip to Sainsburys for supplies (Drinks and Food) I made my way to the station. I am a train novice, so buying a "season ticket" for a train was like a whole new world for me. But it was easy. It took about a minute, and there I was waiting at a cold train station with 16 year old college students. Awesome.

The journey was fine. I listened to my Ipod, I ate a ready made sainsburys sausage and egg bap, and kept falling asleep. It cradled me to sleep at times. Weird. I had been warned that Waterloo was a nightmare to conquer. Clearly I am a genius, as I found it easy. I walked out the exit and that was it. I was in London (Of Course before that I spent 30p to empty the tank)

Equipped with my handy London A-Z I made my way to absolute. It took 15 minutes and took me past all the landmarks. The London Eye, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus were all amongst my sighting. I arrived at Absolute. The reception area was quite frankly, awesome. It had two weird shaped sofas, colourful wallpaper and a huge TV showing how many people were listening online, and where.

I approached the reception, expecting to be greeted by Kerry, the receptionist who I had been in contact with. Imagine my shock when I found a guy, not much older than me sitting there. Luckily he was expecting me.

First things first I had a short interview with him. He asked about previous experience and what my favourite music was and my picture was taken. Apparently they send an email out to everyone at Absolute when someone new starts work experience, with there name, picture etc so they know who they are.

Turns out the guy on reception, Adam, had done work experience at Absolute, and now was called back every now and then to cover on reception. He then showed me the whole of absolute. An unbelievably huge place with 6 floors and a basement. The top floor contained nothing really. A couple of chairs, tables a sofa and old Absolute Signs. Sometimes meetings are done there, and whenever there's a staff party, people sleep on the floor there. Jetset lifestyle!

The next floor was all the big boss offices and meeting rooms. A place I will rarely go apparently. The 4th floor contained more offices. It is where all sales are delt with.

Floor three is where "The magic happens" Well if your a radio fan anyway. It contained the huge Studio A (where all the main absolute shows are presented) the two news studios and production studio C, where live bands play. I took a sly picture of Studio A which you can see at the bottom of this entry :) It also contained something called the "ZOO" This is basically a kitchen area, but more fancy. The zoo contained sofas, tables and chairs, a huge screen showing past bands who had been at Absolute, a Bar area with Tea and Coffee making facilities, a fridge and a microwave. And of course a Table football and an XBOX! AWESOME. Also on that floor was a huge boardroom, which contained a huge screen, awesome carpet, lighting and wallpaper and loads of signed stuff on the walls.

This is the floor where bands play. When bands come in the whole of the Zoo area is cleared, and bands play their set. Seeing that happen would be awesome so fingers crossed someone big will come in at some point in the next month!

The second floor contained more offices, and a CD Library. Artists record labels send out sample CD's to Radio Stations, so they can play them. Most of the Absolutes music is networked, meaning the CD's are rarely used. CD's are kept at absolute for 2 weeks, then they are either thrown away or staff can take them for free. AWESOME.

The first floor was the main floor, where shows are discussed and planned, and producers sit and plan the next days show. It also contains the work experience team, and is where I will be based for most of the week

The bottom floor was reception and the post room, where all mail to the station goes. There is also a hallway, which is basically a shrine to the old "Virgin Radio" days, with CD's, posters and awards all stacked on shelves.

Throughout the building Guitar's cover the walls. These guitars have all been given to the station from bands, and are all signed, with plaques saying who there from. More Awesome.

ENOUGH OF THE BORING STUFF

So my first day... I was introduced to the other girl on Work Experience. Her name was Nicola, and was odd. She seem to have little enthusiasm, and couldn't wait to leave at the end. She was also weird in the sense that she would just walk off and leave me on my own, not knowing what to do. She was on her third week, and I guess she must have just had enough of the early starts and work load.

O I was given a handbook with information about tasks to do. They are tedious. We are basically Absolutes Bitch, We have to clean the Zoo, collect dirty plates and cups from around the building (You would not believe the amount of mugs littered around) and clean them, deliver messages, fill out paper work and other dull things. We had to listen to clips from past shows and make sure the presenters had mentioned sponsors, collect post and more. Sure it was hard work. But it was awesome.

facebook every 10 minutes. What really struck me was how friendly the atmosphere was. Everyone was friendly, upbeat, and more importantly looked liked they loved their jobs. I spoke to one guy, who had received the email about me. He saw one of the bands I liked, and said how he had seen them live recently... AT THE SAME GIG AS ME. Turns out he has connections with loads of bands, and is good friends with a band called Young Guns. He used to work for a frigging record company. He was also extremely friendly, and even though he was working was more than happy to chat.

I also got a chance to see Christian O'Connell (Though not talk to... small steps) I did however get a chance to speak to Ritchie Firth. The co-presenter on the Christian O'Connell show, and a past DJ of 2CR FM in Bournemouth (Now Heart) who had studied at Bournemouth University and I who I had job shadowed 4 years previous. He didn't recognise me... let down. But he was still very friendly and asked about Sean Street... who I've never met.

The third floor entrance goes straight past the main studio, so I'm going to wave at whoever is in the studio whenever I go past... Slowly get into the presenters good books. O I forgot to say, We also have to make tea for meetings. Its not as hard as it seems. Just fill a flask with hot water, then put a selection of teas in a little jug, along with coffee, cups, biscuits and spoons. Pretty standard.

OOO But the most awesome part. Through out the building there are fridges. They all contain a selection of soft drinks, including Coke, Diet Coke, Fanta and 7UP. These are always filled, and staff are allowed to take as many as they want as often as they like. So cool.

The first day flew by, thanks to paper work and stuff.

Tomorrow is my first full day, which means an epicly early start. Ah wellll. Its been good so far, and its only been day one! Below are some pictures I took of London, and One of the absolute main studio. My phone ran out of battery before I could take anymore! Tomorrow I will be taking my charger so more Photos Tomorrow.

Until tomorrow...
Stay cool
Colin





No comments:

Post a Comment