Tuesday 9 July 2013

Day 2: The Shard is big

Hello,
          And my second day at Whistledown is done! Another stupidly hot day meant to a lot of sweating and awesome sunglasses wearing!

One easily apparent good thing about this placement is the distance from the station to the office. For absolute I had to trek across half of London, travelling past Buckingham palace and Piccadilly Circus each day. For Whistledown it's a gentle 10 minute walk past the massive shard building and a few shops! So that's good times.

Due to the silly train times I do get into London a tad too early, but as there is a nice little park by the office , I get some time to chill in the sun beforehand! Whistledown is a lot smaller than absolute (3 floors smaller in fact) and the massive difference in production output is easily apparent. Staff at absolute were generally much younger, whereas Whistledown have staff who have been working in radio for years. It is awesome being around people who work on such high profile programmes for the BBC such as Feedback and The Reunion.

I have so far been able to sit in on a meeting which discussed production of the next feedback and also helped gather research for an upcoming production. I have also had the chance to use editing software that I hadn't used before, which is also pretty cool! Their one office floor is also fascinating for any radio enthusiasts, with a range of old school radios, books and posters plastered upon every wall!

Its amazing how fast time goes when you are really concentrating on something, and that's what happened to me today! Research tasks as well as other small things have been my duties so far!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the week, especially with watching the production of BBC programmes. It's cool stuff people!

For now though, you stay classy!


Colin

1 comment: