Thursday 1 December 2011

Day Four - Lift-a-phobia

Oh Hey there bloggers,
                                      As you can probably tell, I'm trying to begin each blog with an interesting way of saying "Hello"... Thus far I have failed. Well my fourth day has been completed. Today absolutely flew bye... no pun intended. I'm probably gonna be saying that every day, but believe me its true. I was told a saying by Adam on reception today...

"There is not enough hours in the day at Absolute"

And that does seem to be the case. Everyone is working non stop here. Everyone is passionate about what they do. But they never show strain, they never seem under pressure and they never seem to get annoyed or angry when a 19 year old is standing around getting in there way. Absolute just seems like a brilliant place to work. But your probably bored of me going on about how nice everyone is, so on with the bloggggg

THINGS I'VE HAVE LEARNT OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS

  • The smell of coffee never comes out... no matter how many times you wash your hands
  • Absolute staff go through mugs at an ALARMING rate
  • If I hear "Paradise" or "Lego House" one more time I may have a nervous breakdown.
  • If your not keen on lifts like me, you will be knackered within minutes of entering the building.
  • Absolute is an AWESOME place to be. 
But not just for radio enthusiasts like me, but for anyone. There is such a positive feel to the place. I have not heard one angry voice, with people even saying thank you when I take empty mugs from their desks (Keep in mind that they are all plugged in most of the time)

Okay, so the question your probably all asking is "Hey, wheres our in depth look at a Thursday at Absolute Radio????" Well I'm afraid that not much happened. Well that's a lie, but I can't talk about it... One task in particular took me most of the day.

But lets start from the top of my "Little to talk about day"

Actually first, an inspirational picture I saw at Absolute today:

A picture with a message that I feel we can ALL relate to...

Right so my day. Got to Absolute fine. First things first I had to take a delivery of fruit up to the Zoo. There was one bowl and a plate. Due to the amount of fruit, I had to create two mountains of fruit. O sure it looked pretty, but move anything from that mountain and the whole thing would have collapsed.

Next up a meeting to set up. That meant the coffee smell AGAIN. Its amazing how many teabags Absolute staff get through. Once that was done, time to meet Mr Martyn Lee. Ironically I had met him years before, back when he was a presenter on Local Commercial radio, and I did some studio visits.

He set me a task which took me pretty much the whole day. But obviously other tasks kept popping up. The first being a meeting for 20 (!!!) people. A nightmare, considering the meeting rooms table was already covered in paper. This meant that placing trays full of mugs, cans and jugs of water on the table was like playing a game of tetris. Before hand I had to hunt down more mugs for the meeting. I would estimate that there are about 15 cups on each floor at any one time. Maybe I should start drinking tea or coffee, If I want to be apart of the radio industry.

So back to the task. Then my lunch break, then a weird occurrance. I was travelling up the lift with Martyn, making small talk about his time back working in Bournemouth, and I mentioned my blog. His response...
"Yeah I've read it, Its quite good"
See heres the thing. I've not mentioned it around Absolute. No one knows about it apart from me and people on my course, and a big name at Absolute has read it?
If this keeps up I'll be the next fenton



(Jesus Christ)

I continued the "task" but once again had to stop due to the studio I was in, being needed. So I decided to fill up some of the fridges and find some dirty mugs to put in the dishwasher... make myself useful. So I found a tray of mugs etc and got in the lift. Normally I avoid the lift. Its just a thing where I'm paranoid it will break down and i'll be stuck for hours. But on this particular occasion I decided to get the lift, as juggling a tray of mugs, sugar and other things would be difficult if I was to tackle the stairs. So I get in, and up the lift goes, but it stops on floor one. So obviously I move back to make sure the person waiting has room to get in.

When the door opens, its Gaz (I thing) a producer of the Geoff Lloyd Drive Home show. I hadn't actually met Geoff yet, due to the fact I leave at half 5 and his show starts at 5. I know he decorates the studio in flowers when he is about to go on air (Which is awesome as Presenters, in my opinion, should "Own " the studio whilst doing there show and make it their own)  I have seen him in the studio and waved as I've walked past, as you do when at a National Radio station in London... but never spoken to him. So anyway, Gaz is there and then Mr Lloyd appears as well. Not the best moment to meet a big named Radio Presenter, holding a tray of mugs and stinking of coffee.



So i explain my "lift" fear etc, and he gets out and I get out and we head in different directions... Not the best first impression. D=
Hopefully I'll be able to sit in on his show soon.

So anyway that was my day. The task took a long time. The task that must not be spoken. Its the last day of my first week tomorrow...

Tomorrow I will sum up my feelings of the first week... Safe to say it has been an ABSOLUTE blast so far (Lol)

Till tomorrow, Its goodnight from Me, and its a goodnight from Him


Colin

P.s: I thought naming each post would be better, as calling each post "Day etc" would probably get tedious!
P.S.S. Advent calender chocolate one = Tree :D



Some pictures from Studio C

2 comments:

  1. Christ Almighty Colin, you'd better be behaving yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff mentioned meeting you in the lift on his show. That's TWICE your blog's been discussed on air this week! I like it when he carefully spells out the web address, then repeats it incase the listener didn't hear it. At this rate you'll get loads of followers!

    P.S. (Can you use that in a comment???) I think Geoff and Annabel are hooked already on your blog. She said she couldn't wait for this fourth post. Now - I probably shouldn't say this but what the heck - they're worried about next week, as you are joining them on the show and they want to sound their best. I hope they let you talk on air and not just gather mugs in the background or something :-)

    ReplyDelete