Thursday 15 December 2011

Day Fourteen - Madness with Mince Pies

 Hows it going Blog readers?,
                                               I hope I find you well.... ANYWAY. Do I say awesome alot? Apparently I do... Weird =D

Its Amazing. This is my fourteenth blog entry. Where has the time gone? It seems all my life has been for the past 3 weeks is Absolute and blogging... which is a good thing obviously :D

Its been getting colder and colder. I remember this time last year it was snowing every night in sunny old Dorset. I miss it :( But to be fair if it snowed here in London I would be screwed, as I would be trapped. Which is not good.

So here is some things I have learnt over the past few days:

  • Though I have been there three weeks, there are still people I'm meeting for the first time
  • Free Alcohol!
  • Press Cuts take a while to do
  • Free Alcohol!
  • Annabel is spelt with ONE L and Greg is spelt with one G
Free Alcohol everywhere! well not everywhere... well you will understand later.

So today I was supposed to be sitting in on the breakfast show... I start at 9.30 and the show finishes at 10, so it wouldn't be for long, but it would still be awesome. So I take my usual route past Buckingham palace and Piccadilly circus from the station, and as I walk towards golden square, I see a huge van outside Absolute with Ritchie and Christian putting loads of equipment into it.

The breakfast show are going to Lapland to do their show Friday live from there. So they were obviously getting ready to leave for the airport. Meaning, no sitting in on the show... I get in and point this out to Kerry, who says sorry and plans to let me sit in next week.

So that is all good. But as soon as I get in, I am given a job.

You may remember I said yesterday that me and Guy had to go and get loads of snacks for the bands playing the gig today. One of the items we had to get was a bottle of Champagne, but turns out, the band who wanted it (Kasabian) pulled out at the last minute. So I had to go back to M + S to try and get the money back for it. I was also told to get other things, including:

  • 2 X Ed Sheeran Album
  • TWIGLETS
Yes I had to go find those darn Twiglets. So there I am, 9.30am in the morning walking through London with a bottle of champagne in one of my coat pockets, and £40 in the other. Odd. So my first stop is M + S, and I walk up to a counter, which looks like it deals with returns. I explain the story, even mentioning absolute radio and the gig, but he says that they can only refund items that are damaged...

SO IF I DROPPED IT I WOULD GET THE MONEY BACK???

A stupid rule. I ask someone else just to make sure, and they say the same thing :( So I exit the shop with the bottle still in my pocket, I must look a bit dodgy, but ah well. I have also discovered that I can go through M + S to get to Oxford street. Which saves an epic amount of time :) So I go through and find the HMV straight away. I go in, and Ed Sheeran isn't hard to find. Literally the only artist mentioned these days is him.

So I buy two copies of his album (19.98...) and then head to find Twiglets. Luckily the famous Tesco Metro, that has been mentioned a lot of times (Alcohol with Adam, Alcohol for Greg, Alcohol for Xmas party, pretty much everything Greg has asked me to do) And I walk in, go to the Crisp section.... and straight away I see...

TWIGLETS!!!! WAHEYEYEYEYEYEY

My face when I saw them:

So I head back to Absolute. With the goods. Its all good. All sorted.

I get back and find Guy. Once again there are a load of computers free, So whilst guy sorts out the Recon, I get to work on the Live reads, which I haven't done for a while.

If your wondering, there are new ones everyday so it is never ending. But heyho, lets go.

If any presenters or producers from Absolute read this, can they put funny doodles on their Recons... Just to brighten our day :D

It takes a while, as you have to double check if presenters mention the right promotion. But at half 11, its time to get tea and coffee ready for a meeting for 3. Awesome.

Once that's done, its back to paperwork. I finish the first set of Live Reads and then start the second. Turns out I can't do it, as its the live reads for today... Its a bit hard checking each hour if they haven't happened yet...

But we are then get Bing Bonged by Eloise. We go to reception. She says that if we want, we can go to see Madness perform... for free.. So me and Guy are like... Yes..

Yes we would like to see Madness free in London in December.

Sooooooo awesome. So we head to the venue on Soho square, getting lost briefly on the way. We get there, and its a weird chapel, with no entrance to be seen. So after going round it a few times, Guy spots a white door with the chapels name on it.

Its a proper set up, like a huge bouncer on the door, but Kerry and Zoe have the guest list.
So its all good. We get in and its an artististic building. Fancy, nice painting and nice furniture. We get into the room where everyone is gathered, and there is about 30 people, most we dont recognise, but there are waitresses giving out free Mulled wine.


Guy posing with some Art.

I have never tried it before. Its hot wine, and it was disgusting. Not impressed by it. So I went to the little bar and got some white wine. Much better. =D It was all free of course.

They were also giving out little tubs of sausage and mash, which looked amazing, but I decided against it. They also gave out mini mince pies, which I indulged in :)

So we are then called into the venue. Its just a little chapel... Literally, with a Jesus on the cross above it. Its tiny, but we get in to find the place filled with cameras. The real deal.

Then Suggs and the keyboardist from Madness went to the "Stage"

They played four songs, including "It most be love" "Baggy Trousers "Blue Powder" and one I didn't hear the name of. They were awesome, and the whole time a camera was above us, you know the ones on the big tripod things... I cant really explain (And I couldn't find a picture on google) but they are used at festivals alot, and move across the crowd.

So after we leave and make our way back to Absolute. Ed Sherran is playing at 3, and we want to go, but it would probably look pretty unprofessional if we spend most of the day away from Absolute, so we decide not to!

We knew there was a job that needed doing for a guy called Owen... who I hadn't met yet.

In January, there is a talk about Internet changing radio at the Houses of Parliament. Our job was to write out lots of envelope stickers, put them on envelopes and then put invites into the envelopes. There were a fair few on the list. So we made a system. Guy write the names, and I stuck the stickers on the envelope and put the invites in. There were a lot of big media names is well.


The table covered in Envelopes and the other things.


It took around an hour, and by the time we finished there wasn't much to do. We did replace some recycling bags though which is always a lol.

Once that was done we continued getting clips for Brian.

Then that was it.

Alot of paper work and small jobs, broken up by pure Madness :D

So roll on tomorrow :D

You stay Classy Internet

Colin


An interesting thing I found in the "Gallery"



A mini urinal? Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment