Thursday 22 December 2011

Day Nineteen - Penultimate Post + Christian O'Connell

Why hello.                  Well here we are. The penultimate blog. Number 19. Who would have thought I'd last this long? Not me that's for sure.

As it gets nearer to Christmas, more staff are finishing. Today it was Dan, the producer/phone call taker of the hometime show. He was the guy who explained things to me in the gallery, before I sat in on Geoff Lloyds hometime show. Awesome guy, so I hope he has a good Xmas and new year.

So today, I got in early, as I was finally sitting in on the breakfast show :D you will probably remember I couldn't last week due to the breakfast team flying to lapland, and I couldn't yesterday as Maggie (the producer) was off ill.

So finally I am sitting in :) First thing I do, is meet Maggie in the Gallery. She reads the travel, and has a program up that gives up to date travel information from around the country. She tells me that she looks for most of the travel that concerns the South East, as that's where they get the most listeners. But she gets some travel news for roads in Manchester and Birmingham, but only if its motorways.

So she is compiling that, and I sit there, then suddenly she says, "Lets go in the studio, so you can meet the team"

I am like this :


So I get in. And as soon as I walk in, Christian O' Connell looks up, and says "Hey, hows it going.."

I quickly respond, in an over excited tone, and say "I'm good thanks! how are you"

BUT I INSTANTLY MAKE A FOOL OF MYSELF

You see, today, Ritchie is out at a restaurant. All this week they have been doing different things to raise money for their Christmas lunch. I said a few blogs back that Ritchie had to clean cars to get money, well today they had sent him to a restaurant to clean plates.

So when I had walked him, Christian had been talking to Ritchie via on the phone, via the desk. So he had said hows it goings to Ritchie not me.

Meaning I had made a prat of myself... Not good!

Anyway, he shakes my hand and continues talking to Ritchie. Once hes done, he asks me a bit about myself.

Turns out he used to work at 2CR FM in Bournemouth. I tell him I have met Ritchie beforeetc and we chit chat. Nice guy, still knows a fair bit about Bournemouth stations. Turns out he lives near my uncle too! Good times

After chatting, he goes on air. It is awesome. They talk exactly the same on air, as they do off it. You can tell its a genuine show. Christian is a funny guy, and that team work so well together.

Also, to raise money for the lunch, they have put some things on Ebay. They were Vinyls of songs from the band Toto (Who I had never heard of) Ritchie bought them for £4.50 and they sold for £175.

This made the breakfast team feel guilty, as they couldn't make a listener pay £175 quid . So they get a text from the person "claiming" to be the winner, and the other producer (Mark) rings the number. It is the right person, but they don't want to go on air as they have a sore throat, and anyway, they bought it for someone else. So the team plan to send it to them for free. Awesome

So the show ends, and I loved sitting there watching it. It was so relaxed and seamless, just like clockwork, as if they were all just chatting in the pub.

So on the way out of the studio, I say thanks to Christian for letting me sit in, and he gives me some good advice, and says that if I ever want to come in and help, just e-mail Greg (The guy who likes the lists) So its all good :D

I also got a picture with them:


Good times, though my hair looks a mess.

So yeah, an awesome start to the day. But now its time to get on with other tasks. You know, the daily tasks that I mention every single blog :D

So I get to work on the Recon, as there hasn't been live reads for a few days now. Weird.

 I forgot to say yesterday, Me and Guy created the Christmas Bible for Paul Sylvester


Here's what the front cover looked like. We searched Paul Sylvester on google and found that image. Guy used his Photoshop skills to put the Santa hat on him!

Anyway so I do recon, and now I have time to help Marc sort out Iain Lee clips. Some of you may know, a few months back Iain Lee did a show in the evenings on Absolute, four days a week. It was basically a show where Iain interviewed people on the phone. Eloise had been the producer on it. Though the show was no longer going, as it had been around earlier this year, it was egible for a Sony award. So Me, Marc and Guy had been given the task of listening to different shows, and finding the best bits.

So here's what I had to do. I had to listen to any of the shows on the list, and write down what happens in each link, and then highlight the "best bits"

Its a slow process, as Iains Lee links are up to 10 minutes long. Luckily it is a very funny show, so its all good!

Obviously, we get interrupted by different jobs frequently. Today's included getting wine for a leaving presenter, sorting the post that came late,  and making tea and coffee for a meeting for two.

We were reminded about 4 times about this meeting, so it must have been important... but I made it fineee. And I am not tight on the biscuits either!

We also had a meeting today. It was with Adam Bowie,  who is a researcher for promotions, and also a member of RAJAR. Now the meeting was good, but most of the stuff he told us I already knew, after all I am on a Radio Production course. He mainly told us about RAJAR, and how they gather there data and listening figures for each station.

So after the meeting its back to work on the Iain Lee show. But then another thing... getting the post. There actually wasn't that much today... surprising.

O, and another job I was asked to do. You may remember that I had a meeting with Donnach a few days back. Well I was asked to bring a Santa outfit up to his office. Apparently, tomorrow staff are bringing their children, nieces, nephews and other relations in, and its up to Donnach to dress up as Father Christmas. That should be awesome!

PHOTO OP ME THINKS

I look forward to that!

Well that was pretty much my day.

Tomorrow is my last day! Which means the last blog!

Sad Times

So till then,

You stay Classy Internet!

Colin


No comments:

Post a Comment